Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Song Analysis

“Keep Holding On” by Avril Lavigne--Lolo
This song speaks primarily about staying strong and not losing the people you love in your life. So I decided to place my song on page 179, right after Holden begins to cry. This, being one of the first times in the book that Holden expresses his feelings, is the time where he needs true companionship and needs to “keep holding on” to make it through the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmukW1sNlIk
“Keep Holding On” by Avril Lavigne conveys the need for Holden to hold on to the things and people he loves in order to stay mentally and emotionally sane. In the very first lines in the first verse, she sings, “You’re not alone. Together we stand.” These words speak true to what Phoebe wants Holden to feel like in this scene; she will forever be with him (physically, emotionally, or mentally) no matter where he goes or what he does. The next lines are, “I’ll be by your side, you know I’ll take your hand.” Phoebe, literally, at this point, is by Holden’s side and she wants him to get that even though he feels lost, he can always count on her to be there for him. Instead of taking his hand, she puts her arm around him to actually display her companionship. The following lines consist of, “When it gets cold and it feels like the end, there's no place to go, you know I won't give in.” These lyrics simply reiterate what they say earlier about (Phoebe) always being there for a shoulder to lean on. This song truly displays the relationship and compassion between Holden and Phoebe.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that this song really represents the relationship between Phoebe and Holden. I especially think the line "When it gets cold and it feels like the end, there's no place to go, you know I won't give in" shows how Phoebe will always be there for Holden. She is always the one person he can trust, and the person he will always turn to when he needs comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this song because I think that the mood as well as the message/lyrics being conveyed all fit Holdens state of mind. However, I disagree with the fact that this is specific to Holdens relationship with Phoebe. I think that the line "...like the end, there's no place to go..." is actually relevant to Holdens life, such as his expulsion from schools, and then wanderingaround with no place to go once he has gotten to New York. But through all of that "you know I won't give in" represents Holden pulling through in a way and finding his way home. I thought the tune also represents the ups and downs in Holdens journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it represents the relationship between Phoebe and Holden. But listening to the song I also noticed something else. "With you by my side, I'll fight and defend" I saw this as Holden defending his innocence, "you", in order to preserve it. So his innocence wouldn't be harmed by protecting it at all costs.

    ReplyDelete