When I’m Gone – Eminem
There were a number of places I thought this song would be fitting. One was when Holden sees the words “Fuck You” written at Phoebe’s school, and he feels threatened by them, polluting her innocent mind. He threatens to kill whoever had written them, in order to save Phoebe’s innocence, pg 201. Another, is when he gives Phoebe the red hunting hat, as a symbol of protection for her, just like it was for him. pg 180.
The song When I’m Gone by Eminem, mirrors Holden’s father-like role and protectiveness of his sister Phoebe, through the relationship both people have with someone they feel compelled to protect because of their importance each others lives. Holden is protective and wants to shield Phoebe from the polluted world of adults and impurity. Like-wise, Eminem’s song is about his daughter, who as a father, he feels the duty to protect. In his song he says, “When they know they're your heart, And you know you were their armour, And you will destroy anyone who would try to harm 'her.” Holden has the same connection with Phoebe, as she is someone who keeps grounded, and represents content and comfort for Holden. When Holden finds the foul language written at her school, we wants to “I kept wanting to kill whoever’d written it… I kept picturing myself catching him at it, and how I’d smash his head on the stone steps tillhe was good and goddam dead and bloody” pg. 201. Yeah, that’s destroying someone. I also recognized a similar behavior conveyed in the chorus lyrics. And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn, Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice, Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling, And I didn't feel a thing, So baby don't feel no pain just smile back.” Holden is constantly pondering his own death, and on many occasions wishes it upon himself. However, every single time this happens, he is brought back to the thought of how much this would hurt his family, in particular Phoebe, and doesn’t want her to feel any pain by his loss. For these reasons, I see the same characteristics of Holden, in the song When I’m Gone.
youtube link: (slideshow version of song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkALr05XM9M
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with your statement. Another example in the similarities between the book and this song could be when he sings about how his daughter followed him to the concert and would not let them seperate. Simalarly to the time when Holden tells Phoebie that he is leaving, Phoebie will not let him leave with out her. In both instances the strong connection to the other demonstrates the importance of their life even though all they can feel is pain. Also I believe there is another connection between the book and this song in that both Eminem and Holden are brought into strugle under the pressure of society. For Eminem the pressure is being a father at the same time as bringing in enough money to support is family. Just like for Holden the pressure comes from succeding in school and not letting down his parents. These two pressures illistrate the overwhelming feeling that comes apon a person that is failing to meet the expectations. Also, society should be able to understand these peoples situations and help them throuhg their struggle.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with Saga's post. As Saga stated, "Holden is protective and wants to shield Phoebe from the polluted world of adults and impurity" (Saga's post). This statement connects to many lyrics from the song. It's overall proving that Holden is incredibly protective and only wants to shield Phoebe's innocence, in an attempt for her never to lose her innocence. The song first states, “Have you ever loved someone so much, you'd give an arm for? Not the expression, no, literally give an arm for?” (When I’m Gone –Eminem). This is exactly what Holden feels about Phoebe, so protective that he would do anything for her. I agree with Saga that Holden feels like a father figure to Phoebe, just like when it says in the song, “And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn, Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice, Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling” (When I’m Gone – Eminem) Holden only wants for Phoebe to remember him in a fond way when he’s gone, and for her to never be corrupted by anyone.
ReplyDelete