Sunday, March 21, 2010

Song/Catcher and the Rye

“Stay Close, Don’t Go” – Secondhand Serenade

I would place this song during the moment in the story when he is crying on Phoebes shoulder. As the reader, you get a sense of Holden’s soft side and how he truly wants to make Phoebe proud. (pg. 179-180)

“Stay Close, Don’t Go” by Secondhand Serenade illustrates that Holden truly values Phoebe and their relationship, plus gives the reader a sense of Holden’s desperate state of mind. He becomes very emotional at just the thought of leaving her because he understands that Phoebe is his one true good friend, a friend that he could always go to. When about to leave he states, “Then, all of the sudden, I started to cry. I couldn’t help it.” (179) He is so devastated by leaving that he breaks down. This shows Holden’s very serious state of mind, he only has one true friend and is so petrified of being alone. Holden’s thoughts while leaving Phoebe can be described in the song as, “If you leave me tonight, I'll wake up alone, don't tell me I will make it on my own, don't leave me tonight.” (Stay Close, Don’t Go – Secondhand Serenade) It shows how he does not want to be alone again, he finds so much comfort in Phoebe’s presence, she truly makes him feel well again. Holden has very severe thoughts and Phoebe is the only person that could make him happy again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTUzbUAHuSI

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Holden has nowhere to turn, and is reaching out to the one true connection he has- Phoebe. He doesn't want to disappoint her, he doesn't want her to try on him, but when he needs a shoulder to cry to, he wants Phoebe to be there, the innocence able to wash away his sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Christine and the post above me (duderkar), that Holden needs someone to cry on and that he has only Pheobe to do that with. I like the quote Christine chose because it does perfectly show what Holden is thinking when he is crying with her. Also, as said in the post by duderkar, "He doesn't want to disappoint her" which is true and how Holden feels as though he would disappoint Pheobe if he left her and ended up crying somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete