Monday, March 22, 2010

Beautiful Day-Sofia

By U2

I thought this song “Beautiful Day” would be played after Holden gets drunk and the piano player instructs him, “Go home Mac like a good guy. Go home a hit the sack.”(152)
U2’s Beautiful Day captures Holden’s depression and his need for companionship. The line “ You thought you'd found a friend, to take you out of this place” expresses his desire for a companion to help him escape from his depression. In the Catcher In the Rye Holden asks Sally to run away with him but Sally rejects him. He came to Sally to help him get away from his depression but the encounter with her backfired and instead caused him more pain. Holden started crying when he realizes, “I guess it was because I was feeling so damn depressed and lonesome” (153). Like the song says “You thought you’d found a friend” Holden thought he could escape his misery but he will not escape it until he faces his depression.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this song captures Holden's need for companionship, especially how he's looking for companionship with Sally, like you said. I also think the line in the song "It's a beautiful day/don't let it get away" could be used to represent Holden's fascination with innocence, and the how desperately he tries to preserve it.

    ReplyDelete