This song fits on pages 212-213, in the instance when Phoebe tells Holden that she forgives him, and directly following that. This song is talking about wanting to achieve joy, and holding onto, and caring about those you depend on and love. In Holden's case, I think that this one person is Phoebe, making this song appropriate in the moment when Holden re-connects to Phoebe.
The song, "A Drop In the Ocean," by Ron Pope, represents Holden's close relationship with Phoebe. There are many moments in the song that represent a connection between two people, one being "I'm holding you closer than most/ 'cause you are my heaven". This mirrors Holden's feelings for his sister, in that he knows he would be completely lost without her in his life, and when she becomes mad at him he is willing to do anything to gain back her good favor. His heaven includes being needed to protect innocence, while having a sense of family and love, both of which are provided by his relationship with Phoebe, making them so close. In the book this same feeling comes across when she is on the carousel and Holden says, "I felt so damn happy...she looked so damn nice, the way she kept going around and around, in her blue coat". Just sitting there, watching Phoebe Holden is in his heaven, it makes him the happiest we have seen him all book. Holden's heaven comes in the form of his sister, and so he clings to her, making their relationship so close.
I enjoyed your take on this song, however, I thought that it could be placed in relationship with another character. The song A drop in the Ocean, for me, correlates with Jane because it sounds to be about a lover, "I was praying that you and me might end up together/It's like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert" Like the scene where Holden kisses Jane over and over again, he wants to be with her but knows his restrictions. There always is an obstacle with her, either his yellowness, or a boyfriend, or something in the way of them being together.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both of your comments that this song does fit very well into the book for both Jane and Phoebe. Yet, I seem to remeber about this song is the lyrics at the end, "Heaven doesnt seem far away." For me this really doesn't relate to the book because for Holden heaven is not close at all there are many steps for him to take before he can reach happiness again. Also one little change in the weather does not make his life better. I agree with this song having close connections to the book in some places but not so much in others.
ReplyDeleteI do agree with Jake's comments and Helena's also about how Holden holds Phoebe close because she means a lot to him. Having her does keep his sense of innocence close to him. In Brian's point however, I disagree with him saying that Holden is not close to happiness. To him Phoebe brings happiness and she is never far away from him. Holden is far away from personal happiness and peace, yet when he is around Phoebe, he does attain a sense of peace. I like the choice of the song and it is in a great place of the book.
ReplyDeleteI agree that this song represents Holden's relationship with Phoebe. In the book it is obvious that Holden protects Phoebe at all costs because he simply cares about her. It might be that he sees her as "innocence" but he always defends her which fits with the lyrics "Your are my heaven".
ReplyDelete