Sunday, March 21, 2010

Analytical Song

Analytical Song:

I'm Only Me When I'm With You by Taylor Swift

I feel as though the song I’m Only Me When I’m With You by Taylor Swift perfectly represents Holden’s affection towards and relationship with his sister Pheobe, this is so because of Holden’s unwillingness to be comforted by others enough to share his true feelings with them. The song would be placed on page 180 as he finished crying in the presence of Pheobe because that is the first time the reader gets to really see Holden open up to someone, showing how much he really depends on Pheobe so he can be himself. In A Catcher in the Rye Holden often finds himself in the company of people he does not like nor feels comfortable around, demonstrating his inability to share with those around him besides his sister. This idea is especially evident when he is interacting with Sally, “I sort of hated old Sally” (Salinger, 128). Here he is completely honest of his hatred towards Sally showing his dislike of the presence of others. This is the opposite when he is in the presence of Pheobe, for when he is with her he tells her, “‘I like it now … just sitting here with you’” (172) showing his love for her and her company alone. The song I’m Only Me When I’m With You by Taylor Swift has a line that represents Holden’s love of Pheobe’s companionship. That line is, “And I don't try to hide my tears… Through it all nobody gets me like you do.” This illustrates Holden’s comfort around Pheobe and how he relies on her and how he does not like the company of others as much as Pheobe for “nobody gets [him] like [she does]”. Holden has a need for companionship, but that need can only be fulfilled by Pheobe so he relies on her company more than others.


1 comment:

  1. This is a good song choice. I think the line you chose really does illustrate Holden's relationship with Pheobe. It all, in a way, shows his feelings towards other people. As you said, he isn't able to open up to others like he can with Pheobe and he still needs companionship. But the kind of companionship he needs is one that only Pheobe can provide because Holden makes it clear that she is the only one he can be real with.

    ReplyDelete